More often than not, I succumb to a banana for breakfast because mornings are so rushed. And that is why having something that’s more decadent than a banana—banana bread or muffins or sorts—are a saviour to my chaotic mornings.
Not too long ago, I tried the Pick Up Limes One Bowl Oatmeal & Blueberry muffins, and that was truly a hit in my work life. Every weekday morning I could just pop one of these in my handbag and either have it as breakfast on the go during my commute to work, or have it at my desk after reaching office.
My recent breakfast muse, however, were these delicious and decadent 1 Bowl Healthy Carrot Cake Muffins by Nikole from Healthnut Nutrition. Nikole is one of all my time favorite bloggers out there, so I was beyond excited to try her recipe without messing it up.
Honestly, I do not think I messed up. The muffins were dense, but soft. Also, perfectly sweet. I only made one major tweak to her original recipe. Instead of using almond flour, I used oat flour, and that was simply because I did not have almond flour in my pantry.
So without further blabbering, I will list the recipe below.
- Spelt flour (2 cups)
- Oat flour (1/2 cup)
- Baking soda (1 teaspoon)
- Cinnamon (1 teaspoon)
- Nutmeg (1/4 teaspoon)
- Salt (1/2 teaspoon)
- Shredded carrots (1 cup)
- Eggs (2)
- Coconut oil (1/4 cup)
- Vanilla extract (1 teaspoon)
- Apple cider vinegar (1 teaspoon)
- Unsweetened soy milk (1 cup)
- Unsweetened applesauce (1/2 cup)
- Coconut sugar (3/4 cup)
- Mix the soy milk with apple cider vinegar. Let sit for 10 mins. Meanwhile preheat oven to 375F/200F.
- Now in a large bowl whisk together the remaining wet ingredients.
- When everything is well-combined, add all dry ingredients except the shredded carrots.
- Once the batter is smooth, mix in the shredded carrots.
- Transfer batter to a muffin tin. It will fit in approximately 12 moulds. Top with crushed walnuts & place in the preheated oven for 18 mins.
- Voila! Enjoy with a cup of tea, hot cocoa, or your fav coffee. 🙂
- You can top with sugar, too, like recommended in the original recipe. I liked them more without extra sugar.
- Soy milk can be swapped with any other plant based milk. Don’t try dairy milks or the apple cider vinegar will curd them.
- Coconut oil can be substituted with avocado oil.