Muffin purists will likely roll their eyes over this recipe since it is a savoury take on the traditionally sweet muffins. But I promise these are worth a try, if not for their convenience and deliciousness then for their nutritional value (hello there, protein). If by the end of the post, I still have not convinced you that these Egg Muffins are worth trying, you could check out these one-bowl Carrot Cake and Oatmeal-Blueberry muffins I previously posted on the blog.
I do not remember when I first became acquainted with the idea of egg muffins, but it sure has been life changing. When I started working fulltime, I could no longer find the time to make a nice omelette or egg scramble in the morning. As much as I would like my mornings to be calm and peaceful like those morning routine videos on YouTube, reality is they are not. Consequently, I try to simplify as many of my morning tasks as possible, breakfast included.
If I anticipate my mornings to be rushed due to early meetings or travel then instead of prepping my usual smoothie bags, which would still need blending with milk, I prepare these egg muffins that I can grab and go without any fuss. These especially came in handy last week after my Nutribullet of two years decided to bid farewell. Sigh.
Besides their convenience and nutritional value, I also love these muffins for their versatility. You can choose whichever vegetable and cheese options your heart desires and the end result will still be delicious. You could also create a variety to choose from in the mornings–as a cheesy friend of mine used to say “variety is the spice of life.” I divided half of my batch into broccoli and cheddar and the other half into onion, bell pepper, and spinach. Yum, right?
Below is the recipe I follow to make 8 egg muffins. You can be as creative as you like with seasonings and stir-ins.
- Organic eggs (6)
- Fat-free milk, or any milk of your choice (1/4 cup/60ml)
- Salt, black pepper, garlic powder (to taste)
- Red bell pepper (1/2cup chopped)
- Broccoli florets (1/2 cup)
- Shallot (1 chopped)
- Spinach (3/4 cup packed)
- Cheddar (1/4 cup shredded)
- Extra virgin olive oil (1tsp)
- Preheat the oven to 375F/200C.
- Beat the eggs together with milk until well-combined.
- Season with salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. You could leave out the garlic powder, but I love a garlicky undertone in my eggs.
- Grease 8 muffin moulds with oil.
- Cover 2/3rd of the moulds with the veggie & cheese combo of your choice. I used broccoli and cheddar as one combination and the rest of veggies as another.
- Pour the egg mixture in all 8 moulds. Try to keep it at the 2/3rd mark because the eggs will rise and fluff up.
- Bake for 20 minutes in the pre-heated oven.